Monday, June 16, 2014

Motorcycle Lessons from a Scientist...and other stuff

First, an update:

This post is in honor of Father's Day. I really wanted to post it yesterday, but I was treating my father to a day of love and joy. So, you know, I was a little busy. Also, I hadn't synced my laptop to the wifi at my grandparent's house. I'm not sure I mentioned, but I'm in Wisconsin for awhile, and I might leave a bit early to see my sister and her two boys. You'll get tons of pictures of the cuties if I do!! Also, Walmart here has soy-free peanut butter for incredibly cheap. I bought a jar for $2 last night, and I haven't tried it yet, but I will and when I do, I will let you know if it is as amazing as I'm hoping! Right now, I buy organic stuff for $6-8 and it doesn't spread well at all. This jar promises to spread and taste good. My solider also shipped to Basic Training from processing, so I will be out of contact with him for quite awhile.

And now, the good stuff.

This is my Dad. It's kind of an older picture, but he looks exactly the same. He has somehow managed to not age physically; however, he's become rather crotchety and bitter. He is a truck driver and a biker. He is a father and a husband who just turned 50. His life isn't perfect, but I think it is happy. I know I may speak for my family when I say we love him to the ends of this Earth.

So, my dad is a biker, how about yours? First of all, a biker is not a thug dressed in leather, covered in tattoos. A biker is a person who enjoys riding motorcycles and favors the little culture of them. There is this community for bikers. They go to rallies and do fund raisers...it's as active as any other group! So just to get this straight, being a biker does not mean being a certain way. The only requirement is the love of the ride.

The other day while we were on our road trip, we saw a guy on a motorcycle, wearing jeans that rode up, cruddy tennis shoes, a t shirt, and that's about it. My dad's first reaction was, Wow, that guy is gay. No, my politically incorrect father did not actually mean this guy was a homosexual. What he really meant was, That guy is an idiot and he could get really hurt or die for not dressing the correct way. So in honor of my dad and his lifetime of safe driving (seriously, he has NEVER caused a car accident) I am going to talk about motorcycle safety.


  1. Leather. The reason why so many bikers wear leather isn't because it looks cool. It keeps you warm, which is super important because even on a warm day, the wind you generate from driving will freeze you. Also, if you do wipe out on the road, leather will protect your skin from being violently ripped from your body. So you probably don't want to wear shorts and flip flops.
  2. Helmet. There are two types of helmet, a full face and just a cap. My helmet covers my entire head, even the sides, but doesn't have a face shield. Some caps fit snugly to just the top of your head. When you wear a helmet, make sure you secure the straps as tightly as you comfortably can. Yes, you will get helmet hair. But helmet hair sure is prettier than your brains on the sidewalk. If your shield isn't a certain height in certain states, you have to wear sunglasses if you don't have a face shield on your helmet. Generally, my dad recommends wearing sunglasses no matter what, and many places require them regardless of shield size. Check your state's rule before choosing to leave them at home. Remember, all minors HAVE to wear helmets as far as I know.
  3. Special gear. Speaking of sun protection, bikers often wear bandannas. Again, not just because they look cool. Unlike in a car, you have absolutely no protection from the sun! Bandannas are a good start if you are not wearing a helmet. Sunscreen is also a good idea, because UV rays can and will cause melanomas. Those aren't very fun. Skin cancer is no joke, everyone. You can also get rain gear, which is clothing for motorcyclists which will protect you in harsh conditions. As I said earlier, leather chaps and jacket are a good idea for keeping warm. If you like, you can also purchase special riding boots for motorcycle riding to keep your feet cool and comfortable. Make sure they are the correct size. On a trip to Alpine, AZ on the Devil's Highway, my mother made me wear hers and they were a size too small. That trip was made unbearable thanks to this mistake. Comfortable shoes are better than specialty ones that make you miserable.
  4. Beware. Things that you normally wouldn't care about in a car are extreme hazards on a motorcycle. Lightning, hail, rain, sunlight, bugs-they hurt so incredibly much more than you would have expected. Wind is also something to consider if you are steering the bike. It's a lot harder to drive a motorcycle in the elements, so make sure you are well trained and take a motorcycle safety class.
That is all, so I hope you enjoyed my little safety tips. Stay safe on the roads everybody! Do not drink and drive! Have a beautiful, relaxing, totally joyful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I'm always happy to hear from readers!